I just saw this post on LifeHacker about rolling your own Nike+ iPhone for free. The option that I use, while not exactly free, does the same job without having to nod to the Apple hype machine and Nike.
My setup requires.
- A Nokia NSeries Phone with GPS
- This could be any N Series phone with GPS
- Free Sporttracker application
- Download this from here. Page also contains list of phone models that are compatible. Follow the usual route to install applications on the Nokia phone.
- Data Plan
- You will need this for just about any decent application
- You actually run
- No amount of wizards, or tech platforms, can help you here..you need to get your lazy butt off that chair and run instead of browsing the net!
- With or without a shoe!
The Sporttracker application allows you to export your run routes to Google Map etc. The graphs are quite accurate, you can measure every run and see how things have been fairing since you took that fire-vow to get yourself fit.
Of course, you still can’t do anything about the Apple Fanboys who will insist that their’s is the coolest device on the planet. But what could you do anyway about people who have donated all reasoning to St. Steve!
Do note that this user experience of Apple’s AppStore will be absent here. But Nokia with the NSeries 3rd edition has been making giant leaps on our behalf, and for their survival, on the user experience front.
Highly recommended. Anyway, have you tried this? What are your experiences?