I had answered a question on LinkedIn recently on how to maximize productivity of offshore and remote teams. I have posted my answer to that question below. Would love you hear your thoughts on what else needs to be in here.
– First is to recruit the right set of people. Or assess via tasks where their true skill lies. It helps to have a face to face contact once at the beginning of the project, but not always essential.
– Establish clear cut goals, with definite responsibilities to each team member.
– Do not delegate to an offshore or on-site resource until you are clear as to their commitment and skills.
– Build an environment of trust and openness.
– Set standards of deliverables, not by paying lip service but by actually doing and highlighting what you need from each member.
– Deal with complacency firmly and openly.
– Have a common framework of tools and processes defined and communicated. The specifics do not matter. Adhere to these standards rigorously without exceptions.
– Cultivate passion for the goal, foster pride in what the team aspires to accomplish
– Mentor every resource, let your aim be larger than executing the project successfully
– Monitor and evaluate against plan every day. Course correction should not cost more than one calendar day.